Sunday, August 29, 2010

Indonesian Pineapple Tart


Pineapple tarts, small bite-size pastries filled with pineapple jam and shiny finishing top. They are very popular in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, and are usually consumed during the Chinese New Year season.

I grew up eating this buttery tarts and was once involved in the process of baking these with my 'pastry chef' aunt. They are not on my 'must have' hometown food list, but occasionally I do crave it. My beloved mum is here visiting me and she brought some pineapple tarts along with other goodies!

There are a lot of recipes on the net and different variation according to the country of origin. However the main ingredients for the pastry are butter, egg yolk and cornstarch. The pineapple jam filling is usually made by slowly reducing and caramelizing grated fresh pineapple that has been mixed with sugar and spices.


Warning: These rich, tender, melt-in-the-mouth and not overly sweet tarts are so addictive. The tiny bite-size does not help either as I can easily eat five(5) tarts without feeling guilty.

1 comment: