Sunday, May 16, 2010

Black Star Pastry, Newtown

Newtown, a funky & lively suburb filled with a lot of hidden treasures waiting to be discovered. Black Star Pastry is definitely on that list. The owner, Christopher Thé is a former pastry chef at Woollahra's award winning restaurant Claude's. This tiny pâtisserie is bustling with the locals enjoying their Saturday morning coffee and breakfast, sitting on one of the stools scattered outside on the footpath. As I enter the cafe there is a short queue, however within less than three(3) minutes I am immediately served by one of the friendly staff.

While waiting for my cakes to be carefully packed in a box, I take the opportunity to snap some pictures of the cafe. To my surprise, this friendly barista suddenly turn towards me and put on his best smile for my camera.

The hardest part after buying cakes is always the journey home. I will carefully put the box of cakes on my lap, open the lid every once in while and salivate over them! To torture myself even further, I seem to take the longest time ever to photograph each of the individual cake. I guess I'm just building up the momentum for my sweet indulgence. 

Lemon Meringue with Basil Jelly
The lemon meringue with basil jelly is my cake of the day. A beautiful pentagonal pyramid shaped like cake with a solid and crunchy pastry base. It is topped with a smooth, creamy and citrusy lemon meringue. Once you get to the middle of the cake, you'll find the partially transparent basil jelly. Like any jelly, its texture is soft with a resilient consistency and full of basil flavour.

Strawberry, Rose & Watermelon Cake
An interesting layered sponge cake with a slice of fresh and juicy watermelon, strawberries and cream. Unlike the typical vanilla sponge cake with strawberries, this cake is layered with almond dacquoise sponge. The nutty almond dacquoise sponge is light and the crunchiness compliments the juicy watermelon. A refreshing cake that is neither too sweet nor heavy, perfect for your lazy afternoon tea-time indulgence. 

Hazelnut & Chocolate Cake
Nothing can ever go wrong with a hazelnut and chocolate cake. To me, these two ingredients combined together is like a match made in heaven. This cake is layered with rich chocolate sponge and hazelnut-crunch mix, and topped with a thick layer of chocolate plaque and gold leaf. 

Chocolate Gingerbread Ninja
My last treat of the day is the chocolate gingerbread ninja. A cute and almost crazy-like gingerbread looking ninja coated in rich chocolate. It is gingery and just the right consistency of crumbliness as you bite through it. 

Black Star Pastry

277 Australia Street, Newtown
Tel: (02) 9557 8656
0700 - 1700 Tues-Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment