Sunday, February 28, 2010

Afternoon dessert at Ca De Vin, GPO Melbourne

Last day in Melbourne, and I was feeling a bit down having to leave this beautiful city. We have an hour to kill before heading off to the airport and fly back home to Sydney. So instead of drowning myself in misery, I thought why don't we have one last dessert in Melbourne!

We were walking along the Bourke Street Mall, and found this European style cafe/restaurant at Melbourne GPO. Ca De Vin, built out of a laneway and is tucked away from the hustle bustle of shoppers and trams.
Once inside, I was lost in the stunning deco with its big posters on the walls, dark timber tables, and warm/cozy lighting.

I ordered the dessert special from the blackboard menu. Warm chocolate delice with burnt orange syrup and mascapone. Similar to a sticky date with caramel sauce and cream, except this dessert takes you to a whole new level. The burnt orange syrup (yes there's definitely a hint of burnt orange taste) and mascapone (triple cream-cheese, instead of normal cream) paired perfectly with the warm chocolate, giving it a not overly sweet taste. The warm chocolate was soft in texture, comparable to that of a sponge cake.

What a great way to end my visit to the city that I have come to love ever since I laid my eyes on her =)

No comments:

Post a Comment